Perl - Cross-LFS Multilib

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 27 11:21:21 PDT 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> Jim Gifford wrote:
>> Translated for Cross-LFS would be.
>>
>> -Dlibpth="/usr/local/lib64 /lib64 /usr/lib64" \
>> -Dprivlib="/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7" \
>> -Dsitelib="/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7" \
>> -Dvendorlib="/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7" \
>> -Darchlib="/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7/x86_64-linux"
>
> What bothers me is that there's no vendor_perl directory in the stock LFS
> installation. I agree with the rest for multilib.

  Apart from that, this has two deficiencies in my view:

(i) our 64-bit perl installs in /usr/lib instead of /usr/lib64,
  as do all subsequent modules (tested with XML-Parser, which finds
libexpat from /usr/lib64, but installs its own (64-bit) Expat.so under
/usr/lib/perl5.

(ii) the defines for privlib, sitelib, vendorlib, archlib do not affect
what, or where, perl itself installs and therefore I regard them as
unnecessary additions.

  I agree that a 64-bit perl seems to be adequate on multilib (I'm sure
somebody will find an exotic 32-bit chroot example that needs a 32-bit
perl, but for normal use I'm happy unless anybody responds to my earlier
post on -chat).

  Will reply, hopefully in a couple of hours, with a comparison of what
gets installed using Ryan's Configure patch with a 64-bit-only perl.

  Note that perl -V continues to show libc as /lib/libc-2.3.90.so in all
of these variations, which looks messy but perhaps won't cause too many
problems down the line [ I'd still prefer to fix that, but my current
spells are too weak ].

Ken