config.site questions

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Mon Oct 31 16:26:00 PST 2005

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>
>> In any case, are you asking that Cross-LFS investigate the idea of
>> using a
>> config.site for their build?
>

> Yes, for both Cross-LFS and regular LFS.

I was not aware of config.site and feel it may be appropriate for some
packages or sets of packages in BLFS.  Right now I'm looking at KDE.

I have some questions about implementation.

In the kdebase package, the generic INSTALL instructions say:

   If you want to set default values for `configure' scripts to share,
you can create a site shell script called `config.site' that gives
default values for variables like `CC', `cache_file', and `prefix'.
`configure' looks for `PREFIX/share/config.site' if it exists, then
`PREFIX/etc/config.site' if it exists.  Or, you can set the
`CONFIG_SITE' environment variable to the location of the site script.
A warning: not all `configure' scripts look for a site script.

I don't see how PREFIX is set.   When I look at configure,  thee is the
code:

if test -z "$CONFIG_SITE"; then
  if test "x$prefix" != xNONE; then
    CONFIG_SITE="$prefix/share/config.site $prefix/etc/config.site"
  else
    CONFIG_SITE="$ac_default_prefix/share/config.site
                 $ac_default_prefix/etc/config.site"
  fi
fi

$ac_default_prefix defaults to /usr/local.  Of course, if $prefix is
set, then there isn't a problem, but that is one of the things we are
trying to set in config.site.  This is a circular dependency.

So it looks like the config.site file must be in /usr/local/share or
/usr/etc or at a location defined by `export
CONFIG_SITE=/some/dir/config.site'.

Do I have this right?

Secondly, can I use this file to do more than define prefix and the
other directories?  For instance, in KDE, I would like to automatically
define --enable-final --disable-debug and
--disable-dependency-tracking for configure in all the KDE packages.  I
don't see a way to do this using config.site.

Am I missing something?  If we need to specify something on the
./configure line, we might as well list all the items we are configuring.

Note: I know this is the lfs-dev list and not blfs-dev, but even though
I have discussed KDE above, I think the discussion is appropriate to all
or most of the LFS packages too.

  -- Bruce