Runaway development

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Dec 6 04:47:31 PST 2006

Hello,

I really dislike the situation that, due to effectively-dead BLFS, LFS
doesn't get enough testing of its headers. E.g., reiserfsprogs need
asm/unaligned.h, and because of this, LiveCD trunk is broken.

In order to enhance testing, I propose to create a "dvd" branch in the
LiveCD repository as a copy of today's trunk, remove packages that fail
to build, and remove unneeded deviations from the LFS book. The purpose
of this branch would be to include as many of BLFS and BBLFS packages as
possible, and the rules such as "all packages must work correctly
without configuration and support UTF-8" will not apply.

I will set up a virtual machine on ums.usu.ru to build this branch
nightly and mail failures to the list. Then, write access to that branch
should be given to all LFS and BLFS editors, so that, when they update a
package in the book, they also make the corresponding change on this
DVD. I don't say "jhalfs" because, in some cases, BLFS implicitly
assumes that the reader deviates.

Opinions?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov