Autotools

Randy McMurchy lfs-user at mcmurchy.com
Thu Dec 7 02:16:02 PST 2006

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote these words on 12/07/06 00:10 CST:

> This is a formal request to either integrate Tushar's hint on installing
> multiple versions of autotools into the LFS book, or move autotools to
> BLFS and integrate the hint there.

-1. I can't see multiple versions of autotools being installed, be
it LFS or BLFS. But, if it has to be, then it would belong in LFS.
At least that's the way I see it.

> The rationale is that the current LFS
> SVN versions of autotools are incompatible with enough BLFS and BBLFS
> packages. E.g., popt and GRUB fail to build from source if patches are
> applied that require rerunning autotools.
>
> If this is not done, I will have to either integrate this hint into the
> LiveCD build myself (thus hiding, but not solving the problem), or lose
> reiser4 support in GRUB on the LiveCD.

Popt is not an issue, or at least I'm not aware of any issue. Is
there some patch that needs to be applied that is not in the book
yet? If not, Alexander's message is borderline FUD.

As far as Reiser support, this seems to be an issue specific to
Reiser and should be addressed on the Reiser page. Right?

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.25] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
04:15:00 up 3 days, 11:35, 1 user, load average: 0.42, 0.22, 0.09