Autotools

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Thu Dec 7 13:01:03 PST 2006

Matthew Burgess wrote:

>> This is a formal request to either integrate Tushar's hint on installing
>> multiple versions of autotools into the LFS book, or move autotools to
>> BLFS and integrate the hint there.
>
> Well, I've long wanted to get rid of the autotools from LFS but for purely
> selfish reasons (I've never had a need to use them, so their relatively
> long SBU times caused by their testsuites are rather painful to bear).

I've long been tempted to rid them from the DIY Refbuild too. They are not
needed for a self-hosting system. And the painful testsuite times are
simply not good value for the time spent. I personally treat the autotools
testsuites as optional, ie: only run them occasionally so as not to slow
down developemnt, you (jhalfs?) should too. A failing automake test is
hardly going to render a system unstable. As for occasionally needed
fixups, never patch for eg: configure.ac or Makefile.am in LFS, just patch
the generated files instead. This approach always works in my experience.

Regards
Greg
--
http://www.diy-linux.org/