Released jhalfs-2.1

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Dec 8 20:30:03 PST 2006

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Are you going to leave the jhalfs user with a null password?

No, I was going to leave this user with the invalid password, so that
the only way to become this user is to "su - jhalfs" from root. Root
also has the invalid password, and can login only from the console, via
the livecd-login script.

However, Manuel has a preference of setting up nothing on the CD (even
though it violates the existing de-facto standards), in order to filter
out n00bs. So I am going to end up with the jhalfs tarball in
/lfs-sources, and the following note in the README:

AUTOMATING LFS BUILD

This CD comes with the "jhalfs" tool that allows extracting commands
from the XML version of LFS or CLFS book into Makefiles and shell
scripts. You can find the jhalfs tarball in the /lfs-sources directory,
and the XML LFS book is in /usr/share/LFS-BOOK-{6.2,SVN}-XML. In order
to use jhalfs, you have to:

 * add the "jhalfs" user
 * configure sudo in order for that user to be able to execute arbitrary
commands
 * create a directory for your future LFS system and mount a partition there
 * change the ownership of that directory to the "jhalfs" user
 * run "su - jhalfs" in order to become that user
 * as user "jhalfs", unpack the jhalfs tarball and follow the
instructions in the README file there

Please don't ask questions how to do the above - you are assumed to know
this, otherwise jhalfs is not for you.

Objections? Corrections?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov