/dev/bugreport

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Jun 1 03:58:54 PDT 2006

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>
>> It appears that all leaks reported up to now are unfixable from udev
>> side (they are due to drivers probing their hardware in a separate
>> thread)
>
> Should this probing of hardware in a separate thread be reported as a
> bug to the driver maintainers, or is it a feature?

This is a feature :(

<FUD probability="nonzero">
Moreover, in linux-2.6.18 SCSI scanning will be asynchronous by default (i.e.,
in a kernel thread), and this means inability to boot from slow SCSI devices
like big hardware RAID arrays without initramfs.
</FUD>

> Regardless, please review the following patches.  Obviously, the book
> patch can't go in until new udev-config and bootscripts tarballs have
> been generated.

The patch is OK. I give you the permission to release a new version of udev
config tarball identical to the current one without the "bug" rule and without
nvidia rules.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov