Problems with FHS compliance.

DJ Lucas lfs-dev at lfs.lucasit.com
Sat Jun 3 13:15:57 PDT 2006

Recently it was brought up that we have a problem WRT /usr/share/man. I
have two more WRT bootscripts.

Specifically this bit from the FHS-2.3 for supporting these changes:

> This directory contains any non-essential binaries used exclusively
> by the system administrator. System administration programs that are
> required for system repair, system recovery, mounting /usr, or other
> essential functions must be placed in /sbin instead. [29]

Unfortunately, this same note is not applied for /usr/bin (but should
be), but this does cover it.

> /bin contains commands that may be used by both the system administrator
> and by users, but which are required when no other filesystems are mounted
> (e.g. in single user mode). It may also contain commands which are used
> indirectly by scripts. [1]

One of my testing criteria is that the path includes only /bin and /sbin
before $remote_fs is brought up.  /usr/bin/find must be moved to /bin or
the cleanfs script must be changed.  I'm for moving find, or createfiles
might get a few lines added to it in BLFS. :-)

Next is the console script.  Easiest solution is to move this after the
network script.  Alexander, you are most knowledgeable with console
script.  Is that acceptable or is there a requirement for it to be
before the network script?  If so, then openvt, kbd_mode, and setfont
need to be moved to /bin from /usr/bin, along with anything else these
programs require in /usr.  I prefer the second solution--moving the
files so that a user's locale is supported from sysinit on--but this may
be a larger change than I know about.

-- DJ Lucas