Problems with FHS compliance.

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sat Jun 3 20:23:54 PDT 2006

DJ Lucas wrote:
> Next is the console script.  Easiest solution is to move this after the
> network script.  Alexander, you are most knowledgeable with console
> script.  Is that acceptable or is there a requirement for it to be
> before the network script?  If so, then openvt, kbd_mode, and setfont
> need to be moved to /bin from /usr/bin, along with anything else these
> programs require in /usr.  I prefer the second solution--moving the
> files so that a user's locale is supported from sysinit on--but this may
> be a larger change than I know about.

Consider the following situation.

1) /usr is mounted from network.
2) A user boots into non-networked runlevel 2
3) Then his non-qwerty keyboard layout is screwed

Fedora fixes this by moving data files from the kbd package to /lib/kbd, instead
of /usr/share/kbd.

However, my personal opinion about this is that "/ on disk, /usr on network"
setup is inherently broken from the maintenance viwepoint (too easy to get a
mismatch between / and /usr), and nfs-root setup is certainly preferred. If we
document that we don't support the first situation, there will be no problem
with FHS.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov