Future plans for xLFS

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 15:49:00 PDT 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> Cool.  Any major differences?  Did you guys ever have to deal with the
> legendary "libtool can't handle sysroot" problem?  Does the toolchain
> adjustment change drastically?
>
> Don't rush to answer.  I'm just a curious cat.
>
> --
> Dan
I've probably done about a dozen builds by now and I haven't seen
libtool puke yet. My personal goal is to beable to cross-compile myself
a final-system with fluxbox on it for my PDA.

Currently, there isn't a toolchain adjustment.

First you install your linux headers.
Then you build binutils.
Then you install glibc headers (tricking glibc into thinking nptl for
that arch exists).
Then you build a cross-compiler for your arch and install glibc into the
sysroot.

In the end you have a toolchain where you can pass -L/usr/lib -lssl and
ld will look for libssl.so in [sysroot]/usr/lib. It's a very interesting
build process. I'm uploading the current book to
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~jciccone/cross-lfs-2.0/ right now.
Comments are always welcome.