Future plans for xLFS

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 16:16:50 PDT 2006

On 6/5/06, Joe Ciccone <jciccone at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've probably done about a dozen builds by now and I haven't seen
> libtool puke yet.

I've seen it mentioned in mailing lists, but maybe it's not as bad as it seems.

P.S.  Remember the name Enrico Weigelt. :)

> Currently, there isn't a toolchain adjustment.
>
> First you install your linux headers.
> Then you build binutils.
> Then you install glibc headers (tricking glibc into thinking nptl for
> that arch exists).
> Then you build a cross-compiler for your arch and install glibc into the
> sysroot.

Very interesting.  No more temporary system, huh?  The whole system is
cross-compiled straight away?  This looks really cool.

> In the end you have a toolchain where you can pass -L/usr/lib -lssl and
> ld will look for libssl.so in [sysroot]/usr/lib. It's a very interesting
> build process. I'm uploading the current book to
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~jciccone/cross-lfs-2.0/ right now.
> Comments are always welcome.

So, --with-sysroot is only needed while building the toolchain?  It
looks like the only other trick is using DESTDIR to get the install to
go to the right spot.  I imagine perl is causing all kind of
nightmares.

This looks awesome.  Not to bash the work being done for CLFS-1.0, but
this looks like the real deal.  I'd love to contribute some time down
the road when I've got some time to get my hands dirty with a
cross-compiler.

Keep up the good work!

--
Dan