Future plans for xLFS

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Jun 6 00:50:40 PDT 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> So, --with-sysroot is only needed while building the toolchain?  It
> looks like the only other trick is using DESTDIR to get the install to
> go to the right spot.  I imagine perl is causing all kind of
> nightmares.
>
> This looks awesome.  Not to bash the work being done for CLFS-1.0, but
> this looks like the real deal.

AFAICT, (and I've been saying this for yonks) --with-sysroot is the only
sane, and most importantly, preferred-by-upstream method to build cross
toolchains. It's a must for embedded targets. But it's not perfect because
influence from the host cannot be eliminated entirely.. although "host"
tools can be installed into a suitable dir to negate this effect somewhat.

CLFS in it's current form is badly named because only the temporary tools
are cross compiled. Only when CLFS produces a truly cross compiled system
can it live up to its name IMHO.    However.. I can't produce any facts
right now (so take this statement with a grain of salt) but cross
toolchains do not produce byte-for-byte identical binaries compared to
those which are compiled by native toolchains. I hope to get to the bottom
of this one day..

Regards
Greg
--