Problems with FHS compliance.

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Jun 8 08:40:21 PDT 2006

Nathan Coulson wrote:
> It sounds like you'd want to have a bootable system even if /usr is
> temporairly not network mountable, so we would need to make the console script
> work even without /usr. (This would probably also cover the case where / is on a
> separate partition from /usr, but /usr is too corrupted to be mounted).

I failed to express two separate points as two.

Point 1: moving /usr/share/kbd to /lib/kbd is definitely doable, and it would
allow earlier start of translated messages. This mainly amounts to the
--datadir=/lib/kbd switch and moving binaries from /usr/bin to /bin.

Point 2: I dislike /usr on network for completely unrelated reason. Suppose that
you have several machines that share one /usr from network. If you upgrade a
package, it would be a pain to go to each one and copy the needed files (because
this causes a mix of old and new package to be installed at some point). I don't
object to /usr on a partition. But /usr on network is harder to maintain than
nfs-root (which is actually implemented in my classroom). Given that /usr on
network also means trouble for scripts, why not simply say "this is not
supported"? Without any relation to the console script.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov