Udev config

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Jun 8 20:40:19 PDT 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> I'd appreciate if the comments were left in for now.  While I agree
> that 90% of people will not read the comments, they will come in very
> handy for those who want to learn more (me) or people having issues
> with udev.
>
> If they are to be removed from the rules files, then I'd like them to
> be moved into documentation as you suggest above.  Since it could be a
> while before a separate book is created for kernel/udev, can we keep
> the comments in for now?

That would be a little more work than you expect. I based my file on
http://downloads.linuxfromscratch.org/udev-config-20060515.tar.bz2, and the SVN
repository initially contained this plus two unrelated changes: comments (good),
and rework of permissions (bad).

> When I get some time (a week or two; I'm
> being crushed at work right now) I'll strip out the comments from the
> rules files, possibly creating a doc/ subdirectory in the tarball with
> these notes and anything else I find relevant (like the information
> about setting up persistent CD links).

That's exactly the plan: put existing comments into the "doc" directory.

> Down the road, if/when a
> formal book is created, these notes can go away.  I'll be sure to ask
> for your input on any documentation I create.

OK

> What do you think about that?  If you don't want to revert any
> changes, please make sure that there is an older copy available with
> the comments intact.  Is the 20060515 tarball the basis for the current
> set you created?

Yes.

> Are the CLFS rules included in your tarball?

No, but I didn't touch them. The released tarball is for LFS only.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov