Minor issue in chapter 7 <Not critical>

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 09:07:16 PDT 2006

On 6/9/06, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:

> That's because case matters only for BLFS, for packages like Xorg.

While on the subject of BLFS (I realize this is the wrong list), the
locale instructions on the Bash Startup page in that book
(http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/profile.html#i18n.sh)
seem wrong to me. In particular, the user is instructed to set LC_ALL
in /etc/profile (equivalent).  In my understanding, this is a bad idea
because it forces any user wanting to adjust their locale settings to
have to set LC_ALL.  Anything less would be overridden by the LC_ALL
setting from /etc/profile.  In fact, this makes the LANG setting in
the same script completely unnecessary.

Am I missing something?  It seems that setting LANG would be enough.

--
Dan