Minor issue in chapter 7 <Not critical>

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Jun 9 09:44:07 PDT 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> While on the subject of BLFS (I realize this is the wrong list), the
> locale instructions on the Bash Startup page in that book
> (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/profile.html#i18n.sh)
>
> seem wrong to me.

It is wrong. Sorry for providing broken instructions in the past.

> In particular, the user is instructed to set LC_ALL
> in /etc/profile (equivalent).  In my understanding, this is a bad idea
> because it forces any user wanting to adjust their locale settings to
> have to set LC_ALL.  Anything less would be overridden by the LC_ALL
> setting from /etc/profile.  In fact, this makes the LANG setting in
> the same script completely unnecessary.

Not completely. Some program (forgot its name) looks at LANG, but not LC_ALL.

This page should not set LC_ALL. Also, this page recommends the broken
en_US.iso8859-1 spelling of the locale. In fact, I'd prefer to tell the reader
to go to LFS for "how to choose locale name" question, and move
G_FILENAME_ENCODING to Glib2 configuration, because not everyone uses
/etc/profile from BLFS.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov