Minor issue in chapter 7 <Not critical>

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 11:05:20 PDT 2006

CCing blfs-dev.

On 6/9/06, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>
> > In particular, the user is instructed to set LC_ALL
> > in /etc/profile (equivalent).  In my understanding, this is a bad idea
> > because it forces any user wanting to adjust their locale settings to
> > have to set LC_ALL.  Anything less would be overridden by the LC_ALL
> > setting from /etc/profile.  In fact, this makes the LANG setting in
> > the same script completely unnecessary.
>
> Not completely. Some program (forgot its name) looks at LANG, but not LC_ALL.

Didn't know that.  Is setting LANG enough, though?  Assuming all other
locale vars are unset, will all programs fall back to LANG?  I just
don't want to create an equally broken situation by dropping LC_ALL.

> This page should not set LC_ALL. Also, this page recommends the broken
> en_US.iso8859-1 spelling of the locale. In fact, I'd prefer to tell the reader
> to go to LFS for "how to choose locale name" question, and move
> G_FILENAME_ENCODING to Glib2 configuration, because not everyone uses
> /etc/profile from BLFS.

Agreed.  Moving G_FILENAME_ENCODING to the Glib2 page is more correct
and more educational.  We'll have to give this section a facelift
before release.  I still like having the modular profile.d/i18n.sh,
though, even if we point the user to LFS for instructions to fill out
the data.  The LFS instructions should be amended to instruct the user
to convert the charset part of the locale to the uppercase convention.
 This is not entirely clear right now.

Later, in Glib2 instructions, we can add info "Glib2 assumes the
charcter set of filenames is <I actually don't know, UTF-8?>.  To make
Glib2 use the character set of the current locale for filenames, add
G_FILENAME_ENCODING=@locale" to ...

And then we can append to profile.d/i18n.sh or create a new
profile.d/glib2.sh.  Sound reasonable?  I may have severly mangled the
description of the Glib2 filename character set business.

Comments, anyone?

--
Dan