new udev issues

Dan Moore mooredan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 20:14:17 PDT 2006

Maybe I missed something in the LFS SVN-20060531 book, but I had issues with
bringing the system up for the first time.  I little bit of research and a
couple of mods got the system booted.

Upon first reboot, the system hung right after the "Freeing unused kernel
memory step". I got a message to the effect of "Warning: unable to open an
initial console".  To remedy this, I rebooted into the host system, (didn't
do the VFS mounts) and created a console in /dev:

mknod /dev/console c 5 1

This then got me a little bit further on the second try. This time the
system hung at about the same place but emitted a message like this:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc : line 97: /dev/null Read-only file system

...then went into an endless loop of

INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel   (with 5 minute re-tries)

Again I rebooted into the host system and this time deleted the existing
/dev/null device and created a new one with:

mknod -m666 /dev/null c 1 3

Now on the third booting attempt all was well and the system came up.

I did notice that the "udev" step has changed since LFS 6.1.1 (my first LFS
system) and the current development.

Is this an known issue? ...or what did I miss along the way?

Dan