[RFC] Shell script to rebuild info files

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 13:28:47 PDT 2006

Hi guys,

Since there is a precedent set with the convert-mans shell script, I
thought it might be alright to add a simple shell script to rebuild
the info dir file.  I'm always trying to remember the commands, then
end up looking here:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/texinfo.html

So, here's one implementation of a shell script that could be
installed as /usr/bin/rebuild-info.

=====
#!/bin/bash
DIRS=
if [ "$@" ]; then
        DIRS=$@
else
        DIRS=/usr/share/info
fi

for D in $DIRS; do
        [ -d ${D} ] || {
                echo -e "\nError: \"$D\" is not a directory\!\n" >&2
                exit 1
        }

        cd $D
        rm -f dir
        for info in *; do
                install-info $info dir 2>/dev/null
        done
        unset info
done
=====

What do you guys think?  I'm not closely attached to any details in
the script.  It's just what seemed reasonable to me.

--
Dan