testing inotify

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 2 13:57:48 PDT 2006

On 5/2/06, Archaic <archaic at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the info, Dan. I forgot to ask (and it's OT according to the
> subject line), but do you have some advice about testing the new
> syscalls, or better yet, does anyone see a need to include the new
> syscalls?

Maybe Greg will chime in if he's around.  He's the source of that
patch.  I'm shooting from the hip right now, but I don't think there
is much using the new syscall yet.  However, the CVS coreutils is
using it I think, so you could try that.  In fact, this is the basis
for Ulrich Drepper's initial test case here:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/15/358

Here, Jim Meyering (the coreutils maintainer) seems to indicate that
the rm in CVS is using the new syscalls:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/16/46

Bottom line, there probably won't be a lot taking advantage of this
immediately, but it would future-proof the system to take advantage of
these fast, thread-safe syscalls.

--
Dan