Note about Shadow instructions

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Tue May 2 21:24:57 PDT 2006

There is a warning towards the end of the Shadow instructions saying
that you should try to login and su to verify that it works with PAM so
that you can be sure you will be able to log on to your system.
Shouldn't the same suggestion apply if simply rebuilding Shadow with
Cracklib support?

Also (the reason why I'm CC'ing LFS-dev) has anyone considered that
something like this should be mentioned in LFS as well? There should be
more emphasis on the "passwd root" command, saying that this is not only
a good idea to provide security (though I guess it could be argued that
anyone who doesn't think they need a password for root shouldn't be
building LFS in the 1st place...) but it also provides a useful test to
make sure that shadow was built and configured correctly, and if it
fails then that is an indication that you will not be able to log on to
your newly-build LFS system.