Note about Shadow instructions

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Tue May 2 21:54:07 PDT 2006

Archaic wrote:
> Pam can be a bear if you aren't careful. I've never heard of shadow
> locking root out due to a configuration or compilation error, but PAM is
> well-known for it (though granted it is generally user error).

The most common problem (which does break break shadow) on the support
channel tends to be that users skip over the sed command that creates
/etc/login.defs. Most often this is due to using a text web browser that
doesn't really make the "note" about the sed addition for cracklib stand
out, so users think that the "note" applies to the entire sed command
(not just the stuff that would need to be added for cracklib), and don't
run it at all.