persistent CD symlinks

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 14 22:53:11 PDT 2006

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> +1, because I don't believe in educational value with udev. For most of
> BLFS editors, it's a black box. Editors just expect someone to configure
> udev properly, so that they don't have to think about it. Unfortunately,
> udev is one of the packages that _require_ complete understanding.
>
> So, this "consumer" attitude won't do us (and the readers, because one
> can't explain what he doesn't understand) anything good.

Alexander, what's your motive here? I'm just trying to understand your
point of view better. The above comment you made is more of a
social/political evaluation than a technical argument. I do agree that
the editors should understand udev better than they do, but the solution
isn't dropping udev from the book. How do you come to understand udev so
well? What resources do you use? Point the way, please.

--
JH