Suggestions for the book

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat May 20 07:04:12 PDT 2006

On 5/19/06, r3al1tych3ck <r3al1tych3ck at gmail.com> wrote:
> No, I think there is a clarity problem about what user are you.  I have
> gone over this in detail in cross-lfs.  However, I believe it was
> largely ignored.  It did not actually cause me problems.  It was just on
> observation based on experience.  "As root execute..."  Well, that means
> you are NOT root.  But, the general consensus seems to be, "stupid
> idiot, it does not matter the book lacks clarity and consistency, you
> suck".

The book says in I. Introduction, 2. Important Information, Notes on
Building Software: "The golden rule of Unix System Administration is
to use your superpowers only when necessary. Hence, BLFS recommends
that you build software as an unprivileged user and only become the
root user when installing the software. This philosophy is followed in
all the packages in this book. Unless otherwise specified, all
instructions should be executed as an unprivileged user. The book will
advise you on instructions that need root privileges."

Suggestions on improving "clarity and consistency" will be considered,
however my suggestion is to read before you embarrass yourself.

  -- Bruce