Unifying the Udev Rules Packages

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Mon May 22 12:06:21 PDT 2006

This is been a topic of many different discussions. A lot of people have
tried to convince both sides, but nothing has ever been settled. It
needs to be settled before this rift between projects gets any bigger.

    We in CLFS have our udev rules. LFS has their udev rules. BLFS is
going to have their rules. Here is what I'm proposing.
       Making a unified package of rules, with targets make install-lfs
and make install-clfs. Going through each of the rules and figure out
which are common and which are specific. If that won't work, still have
a unified package, but with LFS and CLFS rules in separate folders. But
keeping a unified package.

Development of the rules will need to submitted into a common svn, that
will need to be created.

Here are some of the notes of the changes I think will be needed.

Proposed Makefile Changes

install-common: {All rules that are common to both books}

install-specific-lfs: {All rules that are specific to LFS}

install-specific-clfs: {All rules that are specific to CLFS}

install-lfs: install-common install-specific-lfs

install-clfs: install common install-specific-clfs