Unifying the Udev Rules Packages

Matt Darcy lfs-list at projecthugo.co.uk
Mon May 22 12:15:16 PDT 2006

Jim Gifford wrote:

> This is been a topic of many different discussions. A lot of people
> have tried to convince both sides, but nothing has ever been settled.
> It needs to be settled before this rift between projects gets any bigger.
>
>    We in CLFS have our udev rules. LFS has their udev rules. BLFS is
> going to have their rules. Here is what I'm proposing.
>       Making a unified package of rules, with targets make install-lfs
> and make install-clfs. Going through each of the rules and figure out
> which are common and which are specific. If that won't work, still
> have a unified package, but with LFS and CLFS rules in separate
> folders. But keeping a unified package.
>
> Development of the rules will need to submitted into a common svn,
> that will need to be created.
>
> Here are some of the notes of the changes I think will be needed.
>
> Proposed Makefile Changes
>
> install-common: {All rules that are common to both books}
>
> install-specific-lfs: {All rules that are specific to LFS}
>
> install-specific-clfs: {All rules that are specific to CLFS}
>
> install-lfs: install-common install-specific-lfs
>
> install-clfs: install common install-specific-clfs

Jim,

after all the discussion around the udev rules and the potential
problems, this solution seems to fit the bill closest to anything
discussed so far.

The road blockers I see, will be around package maintenance - someone is
going to have to control the package, and package size, eg: an LFS user
downloading the udev package will download the files for all projects,
as this is only a few K of text files I don't see it being a problem.

I'd personally like to see this idea/suggestion talked through is is a
good start in unifying parts of work across the projects.

Matt