Inconsistent policy about udev rules in LFS/BLFS

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed May 24 05:28:00 PDT 2006

Hello,

I think that the following political question must be solved:

"Where do udev rules for devices that need software beyond BLFS belong? What
(i.e., naming or groups) should be covered?"

One of commonly-used beyond-BLFS devices is /dev/nvidia*, which is currently
(only AFAIK, because I don't have anything made by NVIDIA) assigned the 0660
mode and the "video" group. If we move that out of LFS, we will get endless
support questions. If we let it stay in LFS, the following inconsistency with
the future plans appears:

  * Devices that can be used in LFS (e.g., ttys) are fully configured in LFS.
  * Devices that require BLFS software are named in LFS and a group is assigned
in BLFS.
  * Devices that need software beyond BLFS are fully configured in LFS.

This simply doesn't look right, and puts a question mark on the plan to move the
"audio" group to BLFS. Solutions are welcome.

Also please note that _some_ of devices that need software beyond BLFS can be
properly configured in LFS by mere chance. E.g., the following rule correctly
assigns the group for network block devices:

SUBSYSTEM=="block", GROUP="disk"

--
Alexander E. Patrakov