Inconsistent policy about udev rules in LFS/BLFS

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed May 24 05:36:21 PDT 2006

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 06:28:00PM +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> What (i.e., naming or groups) should be covered?"
>
> One of commonly-used beyond-BLFS devices is /dev/nvidia*, which is
> currently (only AFAIK, because I don't have anything made by NVIDIA)
> assigned the 0660 mode and the "video" group. If we move that out of LFS,
> we will get endless support questions.

If the nvidia subsystem is graphics, then a generic match can be made
without enumeration. Since the card won't be accessed via its device
node without X, it would be most appropriate to cover it in BLFS. Bruce
has already posted one proposal for BLFS in the blfs-dev list.

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs