Bootscripts merge? (Was: Summarize of Plan and changes)

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon May 29 06:24:07 PDT 2006

On 5/29/06, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:

> Simply because the adequate (i.e.: with good educational value and technical
> correctness) explanation of the udev topic is way too thick for the LFS book.

Why?  BLFS is up to about 1100 pages and LFS is somewhere around 300.
There is plenty of room for more.

> Also, this in-depth explanation doesn't fit for those who read the book for the
> first time.

But in-depth explanations can be added as appendicies that first time
readers don't need to read to do a build.  I've always been in favor
of adding all the bootscripts, and now udev rules, as appendicies to
make the book "complete."  There is a lot of great information in
those scripts and files, but I suspect most users just install them
like any other package and don't look inside.

  -- Bruce