PROPOSAL -- new group to handle multi-project tasks

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 30 08:42:50 PDT 2006

Hi guys,

The idea of setting up a new group that will take on the task of
handling matters like the udev discussion that is currently going on
strong. This idea had some support on this list, and some resistance,
and the discussion dropped off without much happening on this front.

I believe the idea is actually a good one. If you look at the bigger
picture, such a unbiased group can take on other tasks too down the
road. Soon we'll have to figure out how we want to move forward with
linux-libc-headers. Do we start our own, or do we wait for other
projects to take this on. Just like with udev now, LFS and CLFS will
likely end up with different requirements to make everything compile
properly. The last thing we want is a repeat of this udev issue.

The bootscripts were brought up as well as something this new group
could take on. The udev problem we're trying to fix is different than
the bootscript problem so people might have some issues with putting
both tasks in the same group.

This is where the "bigger picture" came to be. Our various book projects
(LFS, B-, C-, and HLFS) can concentrate on the contents of the books,
the procedures of getting the system built. Our other group could become
more of a software development group that takes care of udev,
bootscripts, linux-libc-headers. Insert anything else that might come up
down the road.

There will likely always be slight differences between LFS and CLFS most
notably. Bootscripts might require extra functions (the LCD panel output
would be an example), udev would need other things. Instead of all
projects creating their own packages and/or patches to another project's
package, this central group can integrate all requirements into one
package and work out the logistics of releases and management thereof.

I truly don't think anything I have said in this email is news. It's
been suggested before by a few people. The ideas got lost or
misunderstood. After talking to Jim and Matt we're all on the same page
now and the idea of letting a group of people who are more specialized
in this take over is one we all agree is a good way to go about it.

Right now people have been suggested that would become part of this
group to deal with the current outstanding tasks of udev and bootscripts.

Dan and Alex have been suggested to take on the udev development.

DJ and Nathan for bootscripts.

Comments are welcome. In particular any comments why *not* to go about
things this way.