Question about a sentence in shadow instructions

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 30 11:17:48 PDT 2006

Chris Staub wrote:
> There shouldn't be any need to "reset" passwords since pwconv and pwunconv
> take whatever password is stored in /etc/{passwd,shadow} and convert it.
> Or am I not understanding what that means?

I must confess, I don't actually understand what it means either.
However, trac shows it's been in the book for a long time (it only goes
back to r3228 (2004)).  I think it can just be pulled, unless someone
with a proper understanding of what it's trying to get at can shed some
light?

Regards,

Matt.