Headers was RE: PROPOSAL -- new group to handle multi-project tasks

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 30 11:50:33 PDT 2006

Jim Gifford wrote:
 > Mark Rosenstand wrote:
 >
 >> I believe the Red Hat kernel maintainer submitted a patch adding another
 >> make target for the kernel which would produce such headers. AFAIR it's
 >> scheduled for inclusion in 2.6.18.
 >>
 > With the last email I saw, Linus said he was going to reject this
 > proposal, has something changed.

Jim, please see the following messages from Linus:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0604.3/1050.html (Linus is
OK with the header cleanups being proposed)
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0604.3/1044.html (Linus
has them scheduled for 2.6.18, not for 2.6.17)
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0604.3/1051.html (Linus is
opposed to the idea of making headers generally palatable for user
space, but *does* want the cleanups to go in if they enable libraries
(e.g. glibc) to upgrade their kernel related information more easily).
David Woodhouse (the patch maintainer) then confirms in
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0604.3/1053.html that
distributors and library maintainers are his target audience and Linus
confirms that that's just dandy:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0604.3/1055.html.

I couldn't see anything after that where Linus changes his mind.  Now,
these are all to do with cleaning up the headers, rather than the
original "make headers_install" proposal.  However, the Makefile target
will likely be added later on (and there's still plenty of time before
2.6.18 to get it in) - this, I gather, is simply setting the stage for
such a patch.

Regards,

Matt.