udev-103

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Wed Nov 1 04:10:52 PST 2006

Stef Bon wrote:
> Socket operation on non-socket

This is the errno that's coming back from the recv() syscall.  You need
to figure out why the file descriptor that's being passed to recv() is
not a socket -- my guess, based on the rest of the udevd.c source code,
is that the socket was not created or bound successfully.

These operations (creating the socket and bind()ing it) will generate
their own log messages, but they'll be put into the log when udevd
starts up, not later.  So you may have to change the logging level in
the config file (...if that's even possible anymore) or change the
default logging level in the source code, and recompile.

Then you should be able to start udevd, wait a couple seconds, and kill
it again -- this should log some error from socket() or from bind().
(The prefix will be either "error getting socket: " or "bind failed: ".)

Based on pure guesswork, I'd say it's possible that your kernel doesn't
have PF_NETLINK (netlink socket) support.  But that's just a guess; we'd
need the error description from the socket or bind call to know for sure.