Ch.3.2 outdated note(?)

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Fri Nov 3 10:00:24 PST 2006

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 08:30:19AM -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> Bryan or Alexander would know best, but I would expect this issue to
> creep up until the udev/kernel interface is totally solid. Part of the
> problem is the stuff in 05-early.rules which are really just
> workarounds for the kernel.

05-early.rules is set up for kernel 2.6.18 only right now -- using an
earlier kernel won't work perfectly, but using a later kernel should be
just fine.

(Well actually, unless the later kernel introduces a requirement for a
new WAIT_FOR_SYSFS rule.  The current rules wouldn't work with that.)

There may be issues also with ENV{PHYSDEVBUS} and friends being removed
-- but we don't use those in our rules files, so we should be OK there.

> I don't know if those are always backwards compatible.

Using our current version of 05-udev-early.rules shouldn't cause any
problems with newer kernels, unless a new waiting requirement is
introduced.  As long as that doesn't happen, then the worst that will
happen is the user will have a WAIT_FOR_SYSFS rule that never actually
waits (because the attribute is always there).

(Actually I hope that eventually the entire 05-udev-early.rules file
will go away.  But before that happens, the SCSI layer will have to be
fixed, along with maybe some other drivers.)

In general, the changes from kernel 2.6.X to 2.6.X+1 are more like the
changes from 2.4 to 2.6 than from 2.4.X to 2.4.X+1 (this is part of the
new development model -- now that there's a stable branch, the micro
version increments will change more stuff).  So *maybe* it's not a good
idea to use 2.6.19 before the book moves to it, but it depends.

(Actually the stuff at http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges/ is usually
helpful to decide whether there have been any breaking changes made.)