Upgrade to Linux-2.6.18

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Nov 11 21:13:52 PST 2006

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> If you don't like the above approach, then I suggest we put in an explanation as
> to why we install to a temporary directory first and add the '-v' flag to the cp
> command.

Actually, after looking through the Linux Makefile a bit, I think our
commands for chapter 5 linux-headers can be simplified to the following:

patch -Np1 -i ../linux-2.6.18.1-unifdef-1.patch
make mrproper
make headers_check
cp -Rv usr/include/* /tools/include

This is because the target 'headers_check' includes 'headers_install' as
a dependency, and therefore runs that first:

PHONY += headers_check
headers_check: headers_install
         $(Q)$(MAKE) -rR -f $(srctree)/scripts/Makefile.headersinst
obj=include HDRCHECK=1

And since we don't specify the variable INSTALL_HDR_PATH, it uses the
default of "INSTALL_HDR_PATH=$(objtree)/usr", which means that the 'rm
-rf' won't affect us at all. Also, diff shows no difference between the
files in /tools/tmp/include built via the current method and those in
usr/include.

--
JH