locales, nls - supportable or not?

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sat Nov 18 05:29:30 PST 2006

Ken Moffat wrote:
>  AFAIK. we don't claim to support all problems, whether from locales
> or from anything else - over time, the community's knowledge
> increases, and people get better support.

It is implicit that the editors believe the book to be good, up to date,
and worth following.

The problem is that I had to say "ignore the manual page of mount". This
sounds very suspicious. Why should you believe me? You can't check. So
the book has potentially wrong information. And, from my viewpoint, it
is better to provide no information than wrong answers.

Also, if someone solves the problem, e.g., by writing a FUSE-based
implementation of VFAT, the book will still contain the outdated
warning, instead of the recommendation to use FUSE.

Thus, I insist that for every little thing that is present in the book,
there must be an editor who understands it fully. If there is no such
editor, this thing has to be dropped. I don't count as an editor mainly
because the last LFS system I built is LFS-6.2, and my knowledge is not
up to date.

>  In the meantime, you want us to go back to ncurses with the
> ugliness of the screen in the kernel's 'make menuconfig' ?

No, this ugliness appears only if you attempt to start "make menuconfig"
on an improperly configured terminal. Don't use UTF-8, don't put the
console in UTF-8 mode, don't select screen font without line drawing
characters (check yourself with "showconsolefont"), and the non-wide
ncurses libraries will display lines and characters correctly. IOW, in
LFS 6.0, the setup was correct, and going back to it is not a regression
in non-UTF-8 case.

>  I thought I had pointed out in my reply that not all characters
> would work, particularly the € (euro) symbol.  I don't have any
> keyboards other than gb,

They differ from the "gb" only by what is painted upon the keys. Get a
marker and some sticky tape, and make a non-gb keyboard yourself
according to the pictures on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout

--
Alexander E. Patrakov