Use of unionfs to build lfs in stage 5 en 6.

Stef Bon stef at bononline.tk
Fri Nov 24 01:49:29 PST 2006

Vladimir A. Pavlov wrote:

> Hi, Stef!
>
> The idea is really great but I think there are several problems with
> it :(
>
> AFAIK UnionFS isn't in the mainline kernel at the time and we cannot
> force people to download, build and modprobe a third-party kernel
> module.
>
> Many people believe if a thing isn't in the mainline then the
> developers think it's not stable enough to include it there. This's
> especially true for such important components of a system as the
> kernel, glibc, gcc, binutils.

Yes, that's true.
Do you maybe know it's getting mainstream??

> /tools is also used instead of /usr to separate the temporary tools
> built in the ch.5 from the resulting ones built in the ch.6.
>
> Building the ch.5 as you pointed may (in theory) result in the
> resulting /usr hierarchy containing something that was installed in the
> ch.5, that being unacceptable. So, we at least have to use UnionFS in
> the ch.6 as well.

Ok is this nesassary? It has to be seperate? I do not understand why.
When building in ch 6 everything build in ch5 will be overwritten.

That's not what happening in ch.6 now, I know, but what's wrong with
overwriting everything installed in ch.5?

And why do you think unionfs is needed in ch.6 as well?

Stef Bon