Use of unionfs to build lfs in stage 5 en 6.

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Fri Nov 24 10:32:52 PST 2006

Stef Bon wrote:
>> /tools is also used instead of /usr to _separate_ the temporary
>> tools built in the ch.5 from the resulting ones built in the ch.6.
>

> Ok is this nesassary? It has to be seperate? I do not understand why.

Way back in version 3.something of the book (I think anyway), there was
no separation.  It was introduced with 4.x (IIRC), because it keeps the
build much cleaner.

> When building in ch 6 everything build in ch5 will be overwritten.

Not everything, not necessarily.  We hope that everything will be, but
if one of the chapter 5 packages decides to install something because of
one of the switches we give its configure script, that something will
not be overwritten in chapter 6.  There are cases where search paths
would make it matter, too.

The point is, it's not nearly as clean if everything is thrown together.
You can't tell if some package autodetected something in the chapter 5
tools by grepping all your files for references to the /tools path; you
have to figure out issues like that by basically trial and error.  Or
keeping build logs around forever, and even that isn't clean.  Or you
can go back to what people did before PLFS (=LFS 5), and build chapter 6
twice, to ensure it builds itself without reference to /tools.