r7874 - in trunk/bootscripts: . lfs/init.d

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sat Nov 25 23:29:05 PST 2006

bryan at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
> Current bootscripts don't work with rule_generator udev rules, because we run udevtrigger before / is mounted read-write. We need to copy the generated rules to /etc/udev/rules.d as part of udev_retry. Code was copied from Debian testing's udev package.

This is a bug in udev, and should be fixed there. The problem is that
Marco d'Itri (the Debian maintainer of udev and the author of the
scripts) has Debian-centric view on his package. Nobody except Debian
use the copy-rules technique. This has already been discussed on
linux-hotplug-devel, and he (according to your message, falsely) assures
that his scripts work with both methods: retry-uevents (recommended) and
copy-rules (Debian-specific).

I propose to drop installation of the persistent helpers until this (and
the wish about serial-based CDROM persistence and path_id-based network
card persistence) is properly fixed upstream.

P.S. Sorry, I have to go to the conference in less than 24 hours, and
won't be able to discuss this issue from there - no Internet access.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov