kdebase vs. linux headers

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 5 09:49:49 PDT 2006

Hi folks,

I'm trying to compile kdebase-3.5.4 against the headers installed via
'make headers_install' from linux-2.6.18.  Unfortunately, I get this error:

error: '__s64' does not name a type
/usr/include/linux/joystick.h:132: error: '__s64' does not name a type

Now, obviously that's not good, but I don't think it's kdebase's fault
(linux/joystick.h is installed afterall, so they're using a permitted API).

The problem seems to be that linux/joystick.h is #including asm/types.h
which only typedefs __s64 if __GNUC__ is defined and __STRICT_ANSI__
isn't defined:

#if defined(__GNUC__) && !defined(__STRICT_ANSI__)
typedef __signed__ long long __s64;
typedef unsigned long long __u64;
#endif

I can only presume, because of the error above, that those conditions
aren't being met, but a cursory glance of the logfile doesn't appear to
help me ascertain which one of them is triggering the problem above.

Any ideas, folks?

Matt.