Install udev-config docs

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Sun Oct 15 12:18:54 PDT 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> The sucky part is that I couldn't figure out how to query the udev
> version from the installed files,

Well, this:

UDEV_VERSION = $(lastword $(shell udevinfo -V))

seems to work fine here.  I doubt it's portable to other versions of
Make, but that's OK, because udev will be using the installed GNU make.
It might cause problems with later versions of Udev, if they change the
output of udevinfo, though.  I suppose we could go back to hardcoding it
if that happens.  As long as we do the udev-config installation after
the udev installation, it'll be fine.

(It'd be nicer to use the version number from the udev binary, because
it doesn't use a prefix.  But even though udev is built, it's no longer
installed, because it isn't used anymore.  So that won't work very
well.)

> Thoughts?

I think it's a good idea.  I was looking at doing the doc installation
(though not with Makefiles), but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Regarding Makefile details: I think we should also use install instead
of /usr/bin/install, to let the shell search for it.  This doesn't
affect by-the-book builds, but it does help for people that use the
pkg-user hint.  The hint provides wrapper scripts in /usr/lib/pkgusr
that prevent known-to-fail install commands (such as install -d on an
existing directory) from failing the make run.