Install udev-config docs

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 14:08:27 PDT 2006

On 10/15/06, Bryan Kadzban <bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > The sucky part is that I couldn't figure out how to query the udev
> > version from the installed files,
>
> Well, this:
>
> UDEV_VERSION = $(lastword $(shell udevinfo -V))
>
> seems to work fine here.  I doubt it's portable to other versions of
> Make, but that's OK, because udev will be using the installed GNU make.

udevinfo! I couldn't get the version out of any of the udev binaries.
Must not have tried that one. $(lastword ) didn't work, I think
because the string returned by udevinfo has a , in it and that has
special meaning to the make functions. Someone better schooled in make
could probably do it, but I did it a different way. See below.

> Regarding Makefile details: I think we should also use install instead
> of /usr/bin/install, to let the shell search for it.  This doesn't
> affect by-the-book builds, but it does help for people that use the
> pkg-user hint.  The hint provides wrapper scripts in /usr/lib/pkgusr
> that prevent known-to-fail install commands (such as install -d on an
> existing directory) from failing the make run.

That's a good idea. I just used what I saw in autotools generated
Makefiles, but I forgot that they find this during configure. I made a
couple other changes. I nixed the Makefile in the doc directory so I
could just do all the "figure out directory" stuff at the top-level
and not worry about how it got passed down. A couple other tweaks.
Attaching try 2.

--
Dan