Binutils testsuite

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Oct 24 21:03:16 PDT 2006

Hello,

if the user includes "-Os" in his CFLAGS, binutils tests in LFS-6.2 will
show 21 failures ("visibility" and "shared" tests). 18 of them don't
show up if the "binutils-2.17-ppc64_fix_testsuite-1.patch" testsuite fix
from CLFS is applied. The rationale of that patch is explained in
http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2004-08/msg00030.html:

> When not using -fpic/-fPIC, we really can't expect overriding to work
> if there is definition in the same source file.  GCC assumes a symbol
> in the executable can't be overridden
and all those failing tests are just about symbol overriding. I.e.: the
issue is with the testsuite itself, it makes unjustified assumptions
about gcc.

This is not an issue for LFS by default because it unsets CFLAGS.
However, this may be an issue with DIY. As a workaround, I propose to
change the binutils test command from "make check" to "make CFLAGS=
check", in order to make the expectation cited above valid again, at
least on x86. Better solutions are, of course, welcome.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov