LFS-Stable-6.2: duplicate udev rule file number (minor issue?)...

Alex Merry alexander.merry at ccc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 26 02:49:28 PDT 2006

On Thursday 26 October 2006 09:34, Kris van Rens wrote:
> cat > /etc/udev/rules.d/26-network.rules << EOF
>
> I found that there is a udev rule '26-modprobe.rules' already; I'm
> not sure how this works out as the filenames are different but the
> priority number for udev is the same. It might just be so that either
> one of them is neglected.
>
> I could only find out that udev handles 'multiple files in lexical
> order' but to me it's not clear how exactly this is meant.

Essentially, it will read 26-modprobe.rules then 26-network.rules,
since 'm' is before 'n' in the alphabet.  If you `cd /etc/udev/rules.d;
ls -1`, you will see the files printed in the order that they will be
read.

It would be good practice to give them different numbers, but it's by no
means essential.  Archlinux, for example, uses filenames
like "udev.rules", "gphoto.rules" etc.

Alex :-)

PS: the -1 option given to ls just makes it print everything in a single
column

--
Pippin
Computer Monkey to the Pelican