LFS-Stable-6.2: duplicate udev rule file number (minor issue?)...

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Oct 26 02:54:56 PDT 2006

Kris van Rens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working my way through the LFS-6.2-stable book and found this:
>
> In section 7.13.1 (Creating stable names for network interfaces); the
> reader is told to create a udev rule for the network card by doing:
>
> cat > /etc/udev/rules.d/26-network.rules << EOF
>
> I found that there is a udev rule '26-modprobe.rules' already; I'm not
> sure how this works out as the filenames are different but the priority
> number for udev is the same. It might just be so that either one of them
> is neglected.

This is a non-issue. Both are processed, and in this particular case it
doesn't matter which of the files is examined first.
> I could only find out that udev handles 'multiple files in lexical
> order' but to me it's not clear how exactly this is meant.

to compare which of the strings 1 and 2 goes first in the lexical order,
do the following.

1) if the strings are exactly the same, none of them goes first
2) if one of them is exactly the same as the beginning of the other, the
shorter string goes first.
3) if none of the above applies, find the first characters that differ
and compare their ASCII values. The string with the lower ASCII code of
the first differing character goes first.

I.e., the lexical order is, in this case,

26-modprobe.rules
26-network.rules

because the ASCII code for "m" (109) is less than the one for "n" (110).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov