LFS-Stable-6.2: duplicate udev rule file number (minor issue?)...

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Oct 26 03:03:00 PDT 2006

Alex Merry wrote:
> On Thursday 26 October 2006 09:34, Kris van Rens wrote:
>
>> cat > /etc/udev/rules.d/26-network.rules << EOF
>>
>> I found that there is a udev rule '26-modprobe.rules' already; I'm
>> not sure how this works out as the filenames are different but the
>> priority number for udev is the same. It might just be so that either
>> one of them is neglected.
>>
>> I could only find out that udev handles 'multiple files in lexical
>> order' but to me it's not clear how exactly this is meant.
>>

> Essentially, it will read 26-modprobe.rules then 26-network.rules,
> since 'm' is before 'n' in the alphabet.  If you `cd /etc/udev/rules.d;
> ls -1`, you will see the files printed in the order that they will be
> read.

Almost correct :)

"ls -1" respects the locale sort order, and it is not wanted here. Try,
e.g.,

touch q r s t u v w x y z Q R S T U V W X Y Z
LC_ALL=et_EE.UTF-8 ls -1

Even for en_US, "ls -1" respects the locale-defined sort order, which is
case-insensitive. So, in this situation, the correct command for finding
out the lexical order is:

LC_ALL=C ls -1

--
Alexander E. Patrakov