Slow but finally just about done

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 31 10:18:08 PST 2006

Hi guys,

It's been slow getting the server ready because nobody knows all the
details of the setup anymore. I didn't want to blindly copy files and
get things working without understanding what really is necessary and
what simply must be changed in order to keep things uncluttered.

I think I figured out the different pieces of the websites and mailing
lists. I decided in the end to stay with Mailman for mailing lists. It's
a lesser of all evils that are mailinglists (watch this spot for a rant
on mailing lists in the future and how I'd not mind going to news-only
based access. But I won't do this to you guys quite yet).

The last few weeks have been beyond hectic which also caused added
delays. I was approached by a company and to make a long story short, I
accepted employment with them. So I've been busy trying to transition
out of my current job into the new one (that meant holding two full
times jobs for just over a month. That left no free time for anything else).

This new job is sending me to Europe for work. In less than two weeks
I'm going to be spending a week in London, UK for work, then I'm going
back to The Netherlands to visit with family and friends I have not seen
in over seven years when I immigrated to Canada.

I don't think it's a great idea to deploy the server and then
immediately leave the country for a few weeks in case the deployment is
not as smooth as we all hope it to be. So I will do that upon my return
to Canada so I can baby the system for a while as he undergoes a proper
load stress when the world accesses it and demands the resources that
makes the current server crash every so often.

The added benefit of the new job is that I will be in a place where I
can be involved with, and work on LFS during normal business hours at
least a couple days a week.

I plan to use the opportunity to get LFS out of maintenance mode and
back as a forward moving project the way we all want it to be, and it
used to be.