Slow but finally just about done

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 31 10:36:57 PST 2006

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> The last few weeks have been beyond hectic which also caused added
> delays. I was approached by a company and to make a long story short, I
> accepted employment with them.

Congrats!

> I don't think it's a great idea to deploy the server and then
> immediately leave the country for a few weeks in case the deployment is
> not as smooth as we all hope it to be.

Agreed.

  > The added benefit of the new job is that I will be in a place where I
> can be involved with, and work on LFS during normal business hours at
> least a couple days a week.

Great news!  Whilst I don't pay your wage, if I could request that some
of that early LFS work involve documenting the setup of the new server
whilst it's still fresh in your mind, that'd be really useful to
distribute the administrative burden amongst several folks.

> I plan to use the opportunity to get LFS out of maintenance mode and
> back as a forward moving project the way we all want it to be, and it
> used to be.

I look forward to hearing your ideas on what "forward moving" means for
LFS.  Whilst the LFS book has been pretty much just ticking along,
keeping abreast of upstream changes fairly reliably, the other projects
appear to be moving forward nicely.  ALFS, in the form of jhalfs, has
been moving at an incredible rate (so much so, I have finally ditched my
own home-brewed scripts - this is the first tool that I've felt
comfortable enough with to do that!).  CLFS has had its first official
release and BLFS is about to get 6.2 out the door.  I know I've grossly
simplified the current state of affairs - I'll let the other project
leads expand, if they so wish.

Regards,

Matt.