lfs-bootscripts-6.2

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Oct 31 21:01:53 PST 2006

Alex Merry wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 October 2006 17:59, thorsten wrote:
>
>> And tried to stop them with
>> killproc -p /var/run/openvpn-1.pid openvpn and
>> killproc -p /var/run/openvpn-2.pid openvpn respectively.
>>
>> When both instances are up and I tried to stop one of both, the right
>> openvpn process gets killed and the pidfile removed but the script
>> reports a [failed] due to the fact that pidofproc one time gets
>> called without the -p option. I tried to correct it with the appended
>> patch. I also tried to correct a message generated by kill "no such
>> process", which should go to /dev/null I guess.
>>

> This is the same problem Alexander mentioned the other day, I believe.

Yes, it is - however the question is whether "killproc -p" means "kill
pid from this file and ignore other instances of the program" or
"attempt to kill all instances of the program by starting from this
pid". It is documented nowhere, and other bootscripts (winbindd comes to
mind) have to be audited whether they make an assumption opposite to the
one made by thorsten.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov