[Fwd: Re: [LFS Trac] #2111: Adding PACO to LFS]

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 16:41:31 PST 2007

Ken Moffat wrote:

>  From my POV, it looks like the anithesis of what LFS should be
> about.  Yes, individual users should keep track of what they
> install, but any package management process should fit the
> individual user's needs.  For some people that implies a tool, for
> others it doesn't.  Paco seems to be well-supported by its
> developer, but it isn't LFS.  And if, by some mischance, a package
> management tool becomes part of the book, who is going to support
> the users who then want to update packages (particularly toolchain
> packages) ?

Ken, I don't think you understand.  We are not talking about integrating
a package manager into LFS.  We are talking about expanding section 6.3
a bit and changing the install technique to use DESTDIR.  The later
effort can be used by one of several package management techniques, but
can be useful without any package management.

  -- Bruce